Troitsky Bridge across the Neva

Troitsky Bridge across the Neva

St. Petersburg (reconstruction)
Feasibility Study, Detail Design Development
Project period: 2001 – 2003
Client: Committee for City Improvement and Road Infrastructure of St. Petersburg Administration


The bridge was built in 1897–1903. It is the third permanent bridge across the Neva in St. Petersburg ( in 1918–1934 the bridge name was the Bridge of Equality, in 1934–1991 - Kirovsky Bridge, since  1991 it became Troitsky Bridge again).

The bridge was built to the design of a French company Batignolles. The design was substantially improved by the Russian engineers (G. Krivoshein, V. Bers, A. Pshenichny and A. Stanov). The bridge architectural decoration was designed by a French artist and architect R. Patouliare with participation of the Russian Imperial Academy of Arts. The draw span was rehabilitated in the mid-1960s.

Main technical parameters:
– a seven-span bridge with a right-bank stone arcade
– length: 551.1 m
– span layout: left-bank deck: 25.6 m; central spans: 55,6 m (a draw span) +57,84+82,03+103,07+82,03+57,84 m; right-bank arcade: 87.14 m long

Troitsky Bridge is a complex engineering structure with a unique architectural appearance. The central lace-like steel decks join the banks faced with granite through the mason arched spans. The reconstruction was aimed at ensuring high performance characteristics of the bridge while preserving its historical appearance. Based on the design developed by Stroyproekt, a huge amount of work was completed within a very short period owing to application of up-to-date techniques, materials and structures. About 740 tons of un-repairable structures were removed and replaced. To seal the gaps, over 11 000 m of weld joints had been made, more than 8500 m of sharp edges had been rounded, about 13 tons of high-strength bolts with round head looking like original rivets were installed on visible surfaces of the bridge and 51 tons of ordinary high-strength bolts had been used. The pavement was made of guss asphalt laid on an epoxy tack coat.







During reconstruction, about 740 tons of un-repairable structures were removed and replaced. To seal the gaps, over 11 000 m of weld joints were made, more than 8500 m of sharp edges were rounded, about 13 tons of high-strength bolts with round heads looking like original rivets were installed on visible surfaces of the bridge and 51 tons of common high-strength bolts were used. The pavement was made of guss asphalt laid on an epoxy tack coat.


 

Возврат к списку